Monday, August 27, 2018

The Difficulties of Sticking to Time Strategies

Managing my time efficiently is always something I've had issues with, especially in the last couple years. Some of it probably (well, in a couple cases definitely) has to do with health issues. Nowadays, I need to learn/redo better time strategies, especially because my memory isn't as good as it used to be (that makes me sound old). But it's my new reality: if I don't write something down and/or set reminders, the odds are I'm very likely to forget it in the new five minutes until it's almost too late.

I do like the use of checklists: the problem is remembering to use them. I have a couple different apps on my phone that I use, one for homework and one for general life stuff. I also have a paper planner that I can use to show both my to-do list (especially things that are due like homework and bills) and my schedule, which can make it easier to prioritize what needs to be done. Setting alerts and reminders can only go so far, especially if I'm engaged in something else when the timer goes off. 

Looking over the offered articles, I liked the one titled "How to Build a Realistic Study Plan," by Amanda Collins. For myself, in a lot of cases getting started, or knowing where to start, is the hardest step. So this strategy that offers a guideline on how to build a proper study plan seems pretty helpful to me.

I also liked the article titled "Four Questions to Help Overcome Procrastination," by Peter Banerjea. Like the Newton's 1st Law says, an object in motion tends to stay in motion. Once I get started on something, I usually have the energy/momentum to carry me into doing the next thing on my list (or until the caffeine from my coffee wears off). Asking myself these questions is a way to get the ball rolling.

This semester I think my best strategy is figuring out a realistic study schedule and keeping  up actively with my planner. Between a job, working in a research lab, and classes I'm going to be very busy this semester. (Thankfully I don't have to worry about band as well!) Using my planner to stay on top of things and not allowing myself to come to rest is probably the best strategy for me to stay on top of stuff.

To end this post, a strip from one of my favorite comics:

As the daughter of an attorney, I can appreciate finding loopholes in things. (Source: PerezS1421)

No comments:

Post a Comment