Thursday, August 23, 2018


Hello all, my name is Madison Salem, and I’m very awkward at introductions, but I’ll give it a shot anyway.


 Really Awkward, from Introvert Doodles

First, the basics: I’m a Psychology major with a minor in Biology, and hopefully I’ll graduate either in December or next May. After that I’d like to go to graduate school and study the psychology of fiction, and why people do things such as cosplay, fanfiction, etc. (If this sounds familiar, Dr. Barnes at OU studies this niche. I get to work in her lab this semester and I’m very excited about it)

Tumblr post, creator unknown (source)

The only exciting thing I did over break was take (and pass) two classes, Computer Sciences and Genetics. I also worked and avoided the heat.

 The weather this summer (source)

Some fun facts now: I’m an alumni of the Pride of Oklahoma (that makes me feel really old now). This is my first year not doing marching band, and while I did have four years of fun, I definitely needed to focus on school and couldn’t fit band into my schedule this semester. I do miss it though, especially getting into games for free and all the free travel! 

Those long sleeves weren't fun at the beginning of the season. Picture taken by me, source.

I carried the Big 12 flag during the band's pregame show my junior year, and got to carry the OU flag at two games, including Houston (picture source).

Things that I do a lot: reading, Netflix, surfing the internet, and knitting. I would say I’m a beginning knitter, but I’ve been able to make some decent scarves. In fact I’ve been known to knit during class, as my summer professors can testify. 

I made this scarf for my dad's birthday. Source: my Ravelry page 

This scarf was made for fun. Source: my Ravelry page

I’m also a Deadpool fan, a Beauty and the Beast fan, and a major Harry Potter fan. That was one of the great things about going to Scotland: it’s where J. K. Rowling lives and where she wrote the books, so I got to see a lot of the places that inspired her, like the graveyards, the streets, and other things.

Me at Platform 9 3/4 in London. (This is a personal picture that I haven't posted online, so there's no linked source.)

For one brief moment I was in the queue to see the play The Cursed Child for a reduced rate. Source: Facebook

Then the dream died. Source: Facebook

I should also say that I am a believer of the philosophy that there is no such thing as owning too many books. Some may disagree (like my wallet), but I just live my life.

My basic book stats. Source: Goodreads

And that's me! If you have any questions just leave a comment and I'll answer when I can!

12 comments:

  1. Hi Madison! Here's to a fellow geeky knitter. Have you ever heard about the Geek-A-Long blanket (they even have some really cool Deadpool and Harry Potter squares)?? http://lattesandllamas.com/geek-a-week-faq/?v=7516fd43adaa
    That is a dream project of mine but I probably won't have time to do this for the next 2-4 years depending on when I decide to go to graduate school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not heard of the Geek-A-Long, but I'm definitely interested now!

      Delete
  2. For some reason this thing does not want to publish my name... but I'm Anna Margret, a fellow geeky knitter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Madison! I am a psychology major as well. I actually had not heard of the psychology of fiction before, and you have me very interested in it. I’m a big fan of several varieties of fiction and have also been to conventions that involved a lot of cosplay, so I think it’s super cool that you’re interested in that and you’re able to work with Dr. Barnes. I hope you have a great semester!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Madison. I’m a big fan of all the pictures in your post, it really helps make it interesting. I think your interest in the psychology of fiction is really cool. I’ve been reading recently about something similar where the author explores myths as reflections of the morals of different cultures throughout history. The number of books you’ve read is crazy impressive, good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Madison. I used to be a Psychology major and it was really interesting just taking some of the classes. It's cool that you made biology your minor too because I feel like they are very different but still kind of go together. I think it's awesome that you were part of pride because watching them preform is really fun. They do some neat things which I don't think I could pull of no matter how hard I try. I also love the Harry Potter books and think its awesome you got to see places that inspired J.K. Rowling herself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Madison! First off, this post is GOLD! I laughed from the first image and was entertained the whole way through! You seem like a very driven person and I am so happy to hear you are interested in such a niche field of study. I think it super interesting that you are into such a variety of things. I love Deadpool but cannot play an instrument and I love Harry Potter but have never been abroad. Thank you so much for sharing and I wish you the best with your knitting endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. IntrovertDoodles is one of my favorites too, Madison! You'll see IntrovertDoodles showing up in the announcements sometimes. And how great that you are working with Dr. Barnes! She is amazing; I always share her TEDxOU video at least once during the semester, and I'm always learning new things from what she shares at Twitter. I know that people in her lab often do surveys, so if you ever have a survey you are working on that I can share with the class, let me know. And you are the second person in the Pride whose Introduction I have read (do you know Erin?). It sounds like your knitting is how I use coloring books; my idea of a blissful Sunday afternoon is coloring while I listen to an audiobook. Like you, I have an awful lot of books I want to read... and a lot of coloring books too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mi Madison! I read your story and enjoyed it so much that I had to read your introduction too. I'm glad that I did, because we have a few things in common. I'm a knitter as well, and I'm currently working a scarf with the double seed stitch to get some practice. I really enjoyed your usage of memes. I also have way too many books on my to-read list. My poor bookshelf is sagging, but I'm hoping it holds up. I hope that you find plenty of time to read good books this semester!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Madison,

    I think its pretty cool that you are an alumni of the Pride of Oklahoma i know you're probably reminiscing about the times of traveling with the band and experiencing all those fun memories you made. Those scarfs look like they would be comfortable to wear especially when its really cold and a jacket wouldn't be enough to sustain the weather. I love Deadpool, I have yet to see the second movie but i will soon because the first one was really good! I hope you are having a great semester.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Madison!
    I'm a psychology major as well! What do you want to do when you graduate? I think it's pretty cool that you can knit. My grandma tried to teach me a long time ago and I just couldn't quite get the hang of it. I also think it's cool that you were in the band, how fun! What was the coolest place that y'all were able to travel to? It was nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Madison! Seeing that Houston game mentioned just gave me flashbacks to the kick-six, since I can still visualize exactly what I did for about 5 minutes before and after it. The Houston crew next to me looked even more shocked than I was. Psychology is also super interesting! I took intro to psych a couple of years ago and found it to be a really fun class and interesting to study. Good luck with this semester and with grad school!

    ReplyDelete