Wednesday, August 29, 2018

First Impression of Reading Options

I will admit, looking at all the options for readings did get me excited. A lot of these are stories that I've become familiar with due to my reading habits (such as a lot of the Grimm Brothers stories, Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass, and the Greek myths), but its still exciting to see both old favorites and interesting new ones.

In no particular order:

It would be fun to retell a familiar story, although it would be easy to become repetitive (as a lot of the stories get eventually). Maybe a modern retelling (although talk about repetitive).

Definitely would be interesting, as I don't think there's a lot of information available about Alaskan mythology. So far seems to have similar themes to Native American ones, but maybe there's some variation I didn't see while skimming.

After hearing a Russian folktale on the podcast Myths & Legends (which I'll be double-checking for ideas), I'm definitely curious to check out more stories from there. From what I remember the story from the podcast had no moral or happy ending, which is unusual but a nice breath of fresh air.

Riddles are always fun, and the overall plot sounds interesting. Kinda sounds similar in premise to 1001 Nights (captive telling stories to extend their life/pass the time). Definitely need to pursue some more

I did try and read this once, as the public library has the complete editions from Penguin House. But I couldn't get through the first book; all the combining stories got really confusing for me. Definitely want to try again though, and I think I could have fun rewriting them.

And a fun image to wrap this post up:

Ah, the days before technology. (Source: Mystery Fanfare)

No comments:

Post a Comment